Ubutu karmic module ACX dropped ?

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Tue Nov 3 09:20:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 02:45:09PM +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> On Tuesday 03,November,2009 01:37 PM, Tim Gardner wrote:
> >IIRC we deleted the acx driver because it was seriously broken and
> >unmaintained, as evidenced by your report of lockup at load time.

Yes.  I would also note for the record that when Greg KH scanned our Ubuntu
specific drivers for staging/ he rejected this driver as unmaintained.

> Even if it was unmaintained, it actually worked on some systems. My
> desktop uses the acx driver for one, though I replaced it with the
> ndiswrapper driver to get a more stable connection. Deleting acx
> means that without the help of another computer, I won't be able to
> get the required driver for ndiswrapper to work (and no, wired LAN
> is not an option, since I don't have a cable long enough).
>
> I believe a broken driver is better than nothing -- at least it
> works when not under load.

A broken driver which works under low load might be, but this one hangs
the system on load as of Karmic, as you yourself found in testing.  That
is of no use at all to my eye.

-apw