Linux-next packages

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 03:17:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner at canonical.com> wrote:
> Martin Olsson wrote:
>> Tim Gardner wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what you are asking. We are currently building the rc
>>> releases as well as the stable update kernels in debian package form.
>>> See http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline. What do you consider
>>> to be linux-next? If its the Karmic kernel, then I'll be starting that
>>> tree sometime in the next few weeks.
>>
>> It's a pre-vanilla tree maintained by Stephen Rothwell:
>> http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:BJLMCvNG5KMJ:lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/11/512+linux-next&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3
>>
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/sfr/linux-next.git;a=summary
>>

>>         Martin
>>

> Oh, _that_ linux-next

Again sorry for the delay in my reply but yeah that linux-next.

>  I'm not very interested in building that pile. It
> changes so much that its not really of much use when attempting to
> determine if a bug exists because of Ubuntu patches, e.g., comparing
> vanilla v.s. Ubuntu kernels.

It would still tell you if the bug is "upstream" or not. "Upstream"
here being the latest and greatest git tree for each subsystem. This
is important as then a the respective list can be ping'd with the
issue, get it fixed there and then propagate this down to the stable
series.

So for example for Linux-wireless we have a pretty nice setup so users
can test linux-backport-modules-[intrepid|jaunty] which gets the
latest stuff from John's tree. If an issue is found there or on
compat-wireless chances are its a bug upstream. This most likely means
a quicker turn around time on a fix. It also provides more testing and
more drivers for using wishing to try not only the latest wireless
drivers but also the latest audio, etc subsystems.

  Luis