staging/wlan-ng firmware blob

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:13:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:56 AM, Karl
Relton<karllinuxtest.relton at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 16:15 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Karl
>> Relton<karllinuxtest.relton at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> > Dear friends
>> >
>> > With the advent of 2.6.31 into Karmic, please be advised that the
>> > staging/wlan-ng driver (module prism2_usb.ko) used for prism2_usb cards
>> > can now load the card firmware blob direct from /lib/firmware using the
>> > normal kernel firmware mechanism (previously it required a special
>> > userspace program to squirt the firmware at it).
>> >
>> > The driver will load prism2_ru.hex if present in /lib/firmware.
>> >
>> > Therefore can we upgrade the Ubuntu linux-firmware package to include
>> > this file?
>>
>> Patches to the linux-firmware should be sent to David Woodhouse. Since
>> this is upstream drivers/staging it should be welcomed.
>>

> Yes indeed. I have emailed David a couple of times over the past few
> weeks, but haven't had any response at all. I wondered if there was a
> policy against firmware for old wireless cards.

Try again, this time cc linux-wireless.

>> The next question is the license of the firmware. Who is giving you
>> rights to redistribute it and so on? Its preferred that the authors of
>> the firmware from the company involved send the patch themselves but
>> not required.
>>

> I had already made some enquires to the maintainers of the linux-wlan-ng
> project who include the firmware in their tarball (which forms the
> source of the Ubuntu linux-wlan-ng* packages). They checked their
> paper-trail as much as they could - the trail is complicated because the
> originating company has changed hands so many times. As far as they
> could tell the last owners were Conexant who freely distributed this
> firmware. I put words to this effect in the WHENCE file to David
> Woodhouse, with a signed-off-by from the guy at linux-wlan-ng project.

OK good, the more detailed the better in the WHENCE file. Also it is
good for this information to be explained in the commit log entry for
the patch you send.

Why doesn't a member of the linux-wlan-ng project send this patch himself?

>> > The file can be obtained from the source of linux-wlan-ng-firmware - the
>> > file required is ru010803.hex, and it should be renamed to prism2_ru.hex
>> > for installation in /lib/firmware.
>>
>> Under what license?
>>

> Please see README.firmware in the linux-wlan-ng-firmware source tarball.

I don't want to have to, that should be part of the  WHENCE in the patch.

  Luis