RE: NFS client kernel issue?

joakim at bildrulle.nu joakim at bildrulle.nu
Tue Jun 30 16:50:42 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am not sure what you describe is a kernel problem. I also had a similar very
strange behavior with my desktop, Ubuntu 7.04 and forward, on our office net
which uses NIS and NFS. I finally tracked down the problem to be caused by the
limitation of 16 GID:s in the RPC specification on which NFS is based. Ubuntu
has many predefined GID:s and if you have a number of NIS GID:s aswell the
excess is just silently discarded.

This can cause strange silent access violations on systems where GID is
sometimes taken from the RPC and on other cases looked up locally on the server
through NIS based on the UID, depending in the service. The following thread
talks more about it:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1246378870139+28353475&threadId=1135775

It would be nice if Ubuntu limited the number of local GID:s or at least
prioritized the GID:s supplied over NIS. Maybe not a Kernel team issue?

BR

Joakim