Kernel package version rules

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Mon Jun 29 14:40:02 UTC 2009

Andy and myself got into thinking about that one today and both think we saw
some definitions but fail to remember any wiki page.

The problem is, how do we change package versions when we move from one
upstream kernel to another (here 2.6.30 to 2.6.31).
For Intrepid (2.6.26 to 2.6.27) the ABI and the upload number got reset, so
2.6.26-5.17 became 2.6.27-1.1. For the Karmic kernel, we reset the ABI number
but did not reset the upload number, which is technically not wrong but
inconsistent with the past. Probably (if nobody remembers the place) we need to
write down how we think this should be handled, so the next guy to face the
problem can read about it somewhere.
The LBM package number we reset to -1.1 as it has the kernel version number as
a part of the package name and thus is a completely new package. But for kernel
and meta are just going with the way it is now, as it is not bad enough to make
it necessary to redo the whole thing.

Stefan

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!