Portable Ubuntu

Evan Dandrea evand at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 23 13:16:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 2:52 AM, ago<agostino.russo at gmail.com> wrote:
> If that is desired, it should be possible to have wubi also install
> colinux capabilities in parallel with a dual boot set-up, where both
> grub2 and colinux point to the same root image (although there might
> be issues with some configurations). In terms of UI, that could be
> achieved without having to provide another installation option. A
> possible menu entry for said set-up might be:
>
> Start > Ubuntu > Run Ubuntu Applications
> Start > Ubuntu > Reboot Into Ubuntu
> Start > Ubuntu > Uninstall
>
> PS: You might be interested in http://colinux.wikia.com/wiki/UbuntuBase

As part of the foundations-karmic-wubi [1] specification, I asked the
Ubuntu kernel team to look over the patches for colinux, and they
noted two critical deal breakers:

 * The patches are against 2.6.22
 * They are /deeply/ invasive.  Some replace entire bus drivers.

As the kernel team bear responsibility for any kernel shipped as part
of Ubuntu, be it in Wubi or any other variant, the decision and the
work needed to maintain a separate kernel tree rests on them.  This
work would in all likelihood require multiple full time developers,
and the potential audience is not large enough to warrant that
allocation of resource.  Therefore, colinux support will not be added
to the officially distributed Wubi, nor do I see how it can be made
part of any other officially distributed variant of Ubuntu.

1: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-karmic-wubi