ports 386 flavour

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 22 23:24:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 02:55:23AM EST, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> > We seem to have lost the i386 '386' flavour in the recent merge of the
> > ports kernel into the main distro kernel.  There seems to be neither a
> > flavour nor a kernel configuration for it.
> >
> > With the changes I did to fix the ports FTBFS created a new configuration
> > hieracy for the ports, but its not at all clear how one would inject the
> > 386 kernel into that as we determine which hiearachy to use based on the
> > build architecture.
> >
> > At a minimum we need to get the flavour resurected.  We will also need
> > to decide how we handle the configs.
> >
> > -apw
> >

> It has occurred to me that the reason Luke may have not included the 386
> config is because Karmic userspace may not support anything less then
> i586. As far as I know, that decision regarding the rebuild of the
> archive is still pending.

This is true, as well as what Andy said about the 386 flavour possibly breaking the supported kernel builds. As I've said from the beginning, I don't want to step on your toes so to speak, and including that flavour would do so.

SO I'll leave it up to you as to whether we add it. If so, then I'm happy to drop in the bits needed for it.

Luke