ports 386 flavour

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Mon Jun 22 16:12:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 04:43:13PM +0100, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> We seem to have lost the i386 '386' flavour in the recent merge of the
> ports kernel into the main distro kernel.  There seems to be neither a
> flavour nor a kernel configuration for it.

Ok.  I've been thinking a little about this.  It seems that any i386
based flavour is going to be built durng the i386 build run.  That means
that the 386 flavour becomes a very high risk ports flavour.  Any other
architecture we can ignore the build full stop, indeed we already have to.
For 386 that failing will trigger the i386 build to fail en toto, and as
i386 brings the arch independant stuff will fail all of our distro builds.

That very likely means we want to treat the 386 ports build alone as a
first class build and handle it with the distro kernels.  If so then it
makes sense to incorporate that into the normal config hierachy so it
gets updates with the distro kernels.  Which is relativly easy to achieve
with the current framework.

Am I on crack?

-apw