Karmic i386 flavour changes

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Thu Jun 18 15:10:41 UTC 2009

Michael Vogt wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 02:05:35PM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> The next upload will be an ABI bump to 2.6.30-10.11
>>
>> Pursuant to the Karmic flavours Blueprint
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kernel-karmic-flavours
>> I've implemented the flavour changes.
>>
>> However, I have some questions about upgrading as well as CPU feature
>> detection.
>>
>> 1) Is the installer intelligent enough to detect the relevant CPU
>> features necessary to support PAE, and therefore install the correct
>> kernel version ? (Or at least complain that PAE is not supported).
>>
>> 2) Similarly for the upgrade manager, can it detect that the legacy
>> flavour should be installed instead of upgrading the existing generic
>> flavour?
>
> Its easy to add code to the release upgrader to select a kernel based
> on /proc/cpuinfo - update-manger already does some kernel selection,
> but its pretty limited scope right now (basicly just checking if a SMP
> system runs -386 and transition them in this case).
>
> I looked at the spec and its unclear to me we keep the linux-image-386
> flavour or if that is removed in favour of -legacy?

As requested by cjwatson the i386 flavour names are generic and
generic-pae. -server has been removed in Karmic, so the upgrade paths
should be:

Jaunty server --> Karmic generic-pae
Jaunty generic --> Karmic generic

As soon as the ports flavours are integrated, their upgrade paths should
be the obvious choices.

Jaunty 386 --> Karmic 386, etc

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com