Karmic i386 flavour changes

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Wed Jun 17 15:41:26 UTC 2009

Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 08:48:47PM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> Perhaps the kernel flavour install decision should be predicated on pae
>> as well as the amount of RAM. For example:
>>
>> ) PAE and > 4GB RAM - install linux-image-generic
>> ) PAE and <= 4GB RAM - install linux-image-legacy
>> ) !PAE - install linux-image-legacy
>
> Let's use value-neutral names. It does not seem to be as simple as
> declaring one flavour "legacy", and in any case using "old" and
> "new"-type names is painful when you want to add a third, as we
> discovered with nvidia.
>
> Earlier you mentioned -generic and -generic-pae, which would be fine.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose ..."

OK - the package names will be generic and generic-pae as mentioned in
the spec. The i386 'virtual' package that was previously derived from
the server flavour will now be derived from generic-pae, so its upgrade
path should be straightforward. Upgrades from Jaunty to Karmic will be
done thusly:

Jaunty server --> Karmic generic-pae
Jaunty generic --> Karmic generic
Jaunty virtual --> Karmic virtual

I'll leave it to you to decide how the install decisions are made.

Are you ready for an upload? We should probably get this bit of turmoil
behind us before Linus releases an 2.6.31-rc1 (which could be broken).

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com