initramfs-tools stable release 0.93.3

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 11 10:42:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 17:30 +0200, maximilian attems wrote:

> hook-functions: Add i915 module for kms.

This is exactly the kind of bloat I want to avoid for the initramfs.
The initramfs should do one thing only, that's mount the root filesystem
and chain load into it.

Anything else is an extravagance.

Why load the KMS driver in the initramfs?  Because it takes too long to
get to the point in the real system where we can load it!  Why does it
take too long to get there?  Because we spend so long in the initramfs!

Slimming the initramfs right down to the essentials reduces the boot
time by over a second!  Paradoxically, this means that the driver can be
loaded in the real system at roughly the same time point as it would be
loaded in a bloated initramfs.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant