Review of the rfkill drivers in ubuntu

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Tue Jun 9 18:00:48 UTC 2009

As part of the effort to clean up the ubuntu directory I had a look at the
rfkill patches there (as those were deemed needing to go into staging soon).

However I am not sure we really want this (how bad can a driver be before one
gets clubbed with it?).

* fsam7400 is based on pbe5 which is based on the av5100.
* all three most be loaded manually and will take the state of the radio
   from the argument (not from the current hw state)
* Only fsam7400 makes some effort to check the bios signature. The other
   two just punch on the ports.
* The control interface is procfs. No use of any rfkill framework.
* fsam7400 and pbe5 state the port information has been extracted by
   disassembling windows drvers (maybe the smallest issue)

I got the feeling that in the current state the drivers are not ready for
staging and to make them better we would need to find someone with that HW.
Maybe we should disable them and see who shouts? Thoughts?

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!