WANTED: someone who knows what exactly that ssb thingy is intended/used for

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Jul 10 03:19:48 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 06:20:30PM +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:

> thank you for this explanation. Interestingly, from experiments, the wl driver
> module works without the ssb module being loaded. My explanation is that the
> ssb driver binds to all supported pci devices. So it either does handle this
> internally or it does not need to explicitly address the ssb.

Each PCI broadcom device has its own PCI->SSB bridge. By default, the
ssb driver will bind to all the ssb devices available. If wl is loaded
first then wl will claim the b43 PCI->SSB bridge. ssb will no longer be
able to bind to that PCI device, but if loaded later will succeed in
binding to the b44 PCI->SSB bridge.

The optimal solution to this is to implement support for the LP and
N-phys in the b43 driver. The alternative is to fiddle with load order -
that'll involve working out some way to enforce entries appearing
earlier in the module mapping files.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org