Rebase prep work

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Tue Jul 28 15:32:01 UTC 2009

I have been thinking about when Karmic has released and we start prep
for the LL kernel.  It appears time for a fold-down of the various
patches to simplify the git history of the commits.  To that end I would
expect us to naturally squash all commits to debian/ into a single
commit which would be the 2.6.NN-0.0 commit as normal.  I would then
expect that we would review the remaining drivers and squash those to a
single commit per driver, dropping those completely that have been added
and subsequently removed.

While reviewing the drivers with this in mind I noted that there are a
number of commits which add or remove more than one driver and do so in
such a way its hard to tell what they add or remove.  It would be much
more helpful if we had a one driver per commit approach.

With the desire to squash the debian/ into a single commit it also
likely would be handy to always add drivers in a commit and then enable
them in a separate [Config] commit after.  When removing disable them in
the config and then remove them in a second commit.  Thus the rebase
process can squash the config updates with the rest of debian/ and we
can then drop any paired add/remove commits.

Looking at the history there are a few commits which break this approach
and it would be relativly simple to clean these up while we are in the
rebase phase of the tree.  I list them below with the proposed logical
replacements for them.

If people concur this change make sense then I can push them into the
current tree.  Obviously the overall effect top to bottom is an
identicle tree.

UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add misc drivers from hardy lum
	UBUNTU: Add ubuntu/misc
	UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add appleir driver from hardy lum
	UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add dm-bbr driver from hardy lum
	UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add acerhk driver from hardy lum
	UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add lmpcm_usb driver from hardy lum
	UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add ThinkPad drivers from hardy lum
UBUNTU: Dropped ubuntu/misc/acerhk
	Revert "UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add acerhk driver from hardy lum"

UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add ov511 and bt-sco drivers
	UBUNTU: add ubuntu/media directory
	UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add bt-sco driver
	UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add ov511 driver
UBUNTU: Remove snd-bt-sco ubuntu driver
	Revert "UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add bt-sco driver"

UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add acx, prism2_usb wireless drivers
	UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add acx wireless driver
	UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add prism2_usb wireless driver
UBUNTU: [Config] Dropped ubuntu/misc/wireless/acx
	Revert "UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add acx wireless driver"

UBUNTU: Removed ubuntu/e1000e
	Revert "UBUNTU: SAUCE: e1000e: Map NV RAM dynamically only when needed."
	Revert "UBUNTU: ubuntu: e1000e: Upgraded module to 0.4.1.7"

UBUNTU: Dropped drivers obsoleted by staging
	UBUNTU: [Config] disable drivers obsoleted by staging
	Revert "UBUNTU: ubuntu: Added atl2 driver"
	Revert "UBUNTU: ubuntu: Added et131x driver"
	Revert "UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add heci driver 3.2.0.24"
	Revert "UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add at76 driver to build"
	Revert "UBUNTU: SAUCE: Fix Oops in wlan_setup"
	Revert "UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add prism2_usb wireless driver"
	Revert "UBUNTU: ubuntu: Add dm-bbr driver from hardy lum"
	UBUNTU: dropped qc-usb driver

Comments?

-apw