[Jaunty] Proposing some ext4 patches

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Thu Jul 2 20:18:57 UTC 2009

Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 05:32:00PM +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> Great, yes, I definitely would like to get testing done with the updated
>> ext4 code in Jaunty. So I will go and get kernels and the environment
>> prepared and the testing done.
>
> The place where I'd strongly encourage testing is the ext4 code in
> Karmic.
>
> I have not tried running the XFS tests on the current Jaunty code, so
> it would probably be a good idea to run the xfstests on the current
> Jaunty code to get a baseline before trying to test an updated Jaunty
> with even more ext4 backported patches added, since there is strong
> suspicion that "something might be rotten in the state of Denmark"
> with respect to the current ext4 in Jaunty.  So definitely try getting
> a baseline first.

I did not get to the karmic kernel, but have now done the current Jaunty
against a version including the picked set of patches. Both had two tests
failing (213, 214). Strangely those seem to be tests that look like only useful
for xfs. Also in theory they seem to be requiring the fallocate command which
is not included in the tools. So I guess that is a rather a problem with the
test than one with the fs.
So at least it seems to assure, that applying the patches does not make things
worse (aka causes regressions).

Stefan

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!