VMware patches for Ubuntu

Alok Kataria akataria at vmware.com
Thu Jan 15 18:35:13 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 07:38 -0800, Stefan Bader wrote:
> Hi Alok,
>
> thank you for the patches. Unfortunately by now Intrepid moved into maintenance
> mode. Meaning we have to go through a stricter mode of requirements. Normally
> only major bug fixes or very simple changes. I will have a look at your patches
> but I cannot promise we will be able to apply them.

Hi Stefan,

As i have mentioned earlier in this thread, ( please see below for a
snippet from my initial mail)

These patches fix some of the TSC related bugs which occur only in a
virtualized environment. The reason they are important for VMware is
because we rely on TSC as the primary clocksource for timekeeping rather
than a paravirtualized clocksource.

So these patches are pretty important for correct timekeeping under
VMware.

Apart from the incorrect timekeeping problem, these BUG could result in
Ubuntu guest hangs under highly overcommitted virtualized environment.

Given the above facts, IMHO these patches should be considered as "major
bugfix".

>From the "simple changes" POV, apart from the hypervisor detection code,
most of the other changes do not have any affect when run on native
hardware. IOW most of the code is executed only when you are running
under a VMware hypervisor.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Thanks,
Alok