SRU LP #269123 stkwebcam kernel-module doesn't support all the webcams supported previously with stk11

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Thu Jan 15 16:51:30 UTC 2009

Jim Lieb wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2009 08:30:02 Stefan Bader wrote:
>> Jim Lieb wrote:
>>> This is a backport of the stk11xx driver from SourceForge.  It was in
>>> Hardy but did not make it to Intrepid.  The patch is quite large due to
>>> its inclusion of the (new) driver files.  Both reporters have confirmed
>>> it works with both amd64 and i386.
>>>
>>> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/lieb/ubuntu-intrepid.git lp269123
>>>
>>> Proposing for SRU for Intrepid.
>>>
>>> The upgraded stkwebcam driver in Jaunty (2.6.28) should be tested
>>> prior to proposing for Jaunty.  Those changes were not attempted due
>>> to the rework between .27 and .28.
>>>
>>> Jim
>> Alright, I had some time to look at the driver. The problem here is that
>> this new driver takes the same IDs as the stk-webcam driver which is in
>> Intrepid and also build and shipped. So for this reason the backported
>> driver has to go into lbm.
>>
>> Stefan
> Sure if that is the consensus.  All I need is a pointer on how to do it.  We
> already know that the driver works for the reporters.  Pointer please?

Not sure we have a good doc there. Basically the mechanics are similar to the
ubuntu dir. There is a separate git intrepid-lbm.git. You place the new driver
into the updates dir there update Makefile to descend into that dir
(configurable) and then turn on the configs in the debian/config dir.
In the past it was usually done in two steps: first add the driver and Maefile
change and in a second checkin turn on the configs.

Stefan

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!