Hardy config change: Enable CONFIG_NFSD_V4=y in -virtual flavour

Tim Gardner tcanonical at tpi.com
Mon Jan 12 16:57:15 UTC 2009

Zack Gilburd wrote:
> Tim Gardner wrote:
>> Zack Gilburd wrote:
>>

>>> Forgive my ignorance of the workings of this ML, but I do want to
>>> point out, regarding the subject of this thread, that this config
>>> oversight also affects intrepid. I have not checked the jaunty or its
>>> git, but I would imagine the change would need to be made systemically.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Zack
>>>

>> Intrepid doesn't have a -virtual kernel flavour. All Intrepid flavours
>> already have CONFIG_NFS_V4=y.
>>

> I am sure you are much more in-tune with how exactly these things work
> than I am.  However, from my observations at $work, the
> linux-image-virtual in intrepid is based so closely off of the -server
> flavor that it ships as a separate linux-image, but uses the -server
> headers.  The linux-image-virtual, as configured, does not have NFSV4
> client capability.  To test this, you can do a fresh clean JeOS install
> using an 8.10 CD, dist-upgrade, modprobe nfs, cat /proc/filesystems, or
> even try to mount NFSV4.  Either way, the problem should become apparent
> rather quickly.
>
> Also worth noting that in intrepid JeOS, /boot/config-`uname -r` appears
> to be missing.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Zack

The virtual kernel in Intrepid _is_ the -server flavour, just slightly
repackaged. I think the missing /boot/config-`uname -r` is an oversight.
You can verify the JeOS kernel version by looking at
/proc/version_signature. I checked and there is an nfsd.ko in
linux-image-2.6.27-11-virtual_2.6.27-11.23_amd64.deb, so I'm not quite
sure why you can't make it work. Is this something you've verified at
runtime?

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com