[RFC] Ability to link launchpad bugs to the hardware database

Abel Deuring abel.deuring at canonical.com
Thu Feb 19 17:13:43 UTC 2009

On 19.02.2009 16:30, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Martin Albisetti wrote:
>> Tim Gardner wrote:
>>> While I understand (and appreciate) the work Tom, Abel and Martin have
>>> been doing on the hardware database, I have no idea what you mean when
>>> you say "plug into this work". Are there new LP options for attaching HW
>>> descriptions to bug reports? Leann certainly needs to be aware of this
>>> work since she is the kernel team LP wizard.
>> I think he means "talk to us to make sure your use cases are addressed".
>> Quick overview of what we want to do with this feature is:
>> - Introduce a flag for bugs which says they are "hardware bugs"
>> - For the bugs with that flag, when a user clicks "me too", we ask them
>> if their HW profile is related to it
>> - For all the collected HW profiles, we will show what the common
>> devices among them are
>>
>> That's our rough first draft of the feature.
>> How does that sound?
>>

> How much specificity will you ask of the user when they click "me too" ?
> Audio is a good example where folks think "my sound doesn't work and I
> have the same Intel HDA, so I must be a 'me too'".

Martin already wrote that we ant to link currently only complete
profiles but not indiviual devices and why.

We will for sure have some noise in these "me too" links -- I even
expect that some people will link submissions for completely different
hardware. If the signal/noise ratio from these wrong links becomes too
bad, we can add the option to unlink a submission, or we can to add a
flag like "invalid link", combined with a comment like "sorry, this bug
is about the Intel HDA 1234, but your audio hardware is AMD 3456".

Abel