[Hardy-LUM] SRU: e1000e-ich9m: no wired ethernet adapter Intel 82567LM Dell E6500 @ ubuntu 8.04

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Mon Aug 17 15:26:16 UTC 2009

Stefan Bader wrote:
> Colin Ian King wrote:
>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> Any reason why the following #defines should not be added into
>> e1000e-ich9m/hw.h rather than in e1000e-ich9m/netdev.c?
>>
>> #define E1000_DEV_ID_ICH10_D_BM_LM            0x10DE
>> #define E1000_DEV_ID_ICH10_D_BM_LF            0x10DF
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 16:52 +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:
>>> SRU Justification:
>>>
>>> Impact: Some Intel network cards cannot be used as the IDs are missing from the
>>> e1000e driver.
>>>
>>> Fix: The patch has been backported from Intrepid and adds the missing IDs to
>>> the driver.
>>>
>>> Testcase: Boot to Hardy when 82567LM card is present. It is detected with the
>>> updated driver, otherwise not.
>>>
>>> -Stefan
>>>

> Maybe to limit the impact. Probably Tim can answer this as he did the original
> SAUCE patch. I just picked the Intrepid version since that is closest to Hardy.
>
> -Stefan

I can't remember for sure why I put them in e1000e-ich9m/netdev.c.
However, upstream is taking the attitude that PCI IDs don't need to be
shared (most of the time), and therefore belong in their respective .c
files. For the purposes of backporting, we should stick with the way
upstream is dong it in order to avoid future conflicts..

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com