2.6.31 vermagic question.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Mon Aug 17 14:39:11 UTC 2009

One of the rules in the debian build sets EXTRAVERSION, making it
difficult to build the Ubuntu kernel in-tree. The only supported method
for building the kernel is by using the Debian build mechanism, i.e.,
dpkg-buildpackage. However, there are short cuts to avoid building the
whole kernel. For example,

fakeroot debian/rules prepare-generic
make -C debian/build/build-generic M=`pwd`/drivers/hwmon

Further information about how to build the kernel can be found on the
wiki at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KernelMaintenance

rtg

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com