DSDT override support

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Tue Aug 11 12:54:45 UTC 2009

Shawn Rogers wrote:
> I just received conformation that the dsdt override patch will no longer
> be used. What is the reasoning? I have two machines that will not
> function correctly without a custom DSDT. The Microsoft AML compiler
> (MFST) is increasingly being used more and more in place of the IASL
> compiler. The Microsoft compiler is not ACPI compliant, and causes ACPI
> breakage for Linux/Mac. This is not the time to take away the patch
> IMHO. My laptop overheats due to this:
> https://wiki.edubuntu.org/LaptopTestingTeam/HPdv5z Can this be fixed
> without a custom dsdt? It will not wake from sleep/hibernate because of
> an intentional error in the _WAK section of my dsdt. The fact that
> Microsoft has control over your BIOS should be reason enough to keep the
> patch. The ACPI bugs are only going to increase as time goes on. I can
> compile my own kernel and include the patch, but if everyone stops using
> the patch, it will eventually not be updated anymore.

Well, if you're capable of building your own kernel, then you can get
the patch (which I've just refreshed and compile tested) from the
patches-that-need-love branch:

git checkout -b patches-that-need-love origin/patches-that-need-love
cp 0001-UBUNTU-SAUCE-no-up-ACPI-initramfs-DSDT-override.patch ..
git checkout -f master
git am ../0001-UBUNTU-SAUCE-no-up-ACPI-initramfs-DSDT-override.patch
fakeroot debian/rules updateconfigs
debuild -b

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com