DSDT override support

Shawn Rogers shawnr at wildblue.net
Mon Aug 10 21:22:35 UTC 2009

I just received conformation that the dsdt override patch will no longer
be used. What is the reasoning? I have two machines that will not
function correctly without a custom DSDT. The Microsoft AML compiler
(MFST) is increasingly being used more and more in place of the IASL
compiler. The Microsoft compiler is not ACPI compliant, and causes ACPI
breakage for Linux/Mac. This is not the time to take away the patch
IMHO. My laptop overheats due to this:
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/LaptopTestingTeam/HPdv5z Can this be fixed
without a custom dsdt? It will not wake from sleep/hibernate because of
an intentional error in the _WAK section of my dsdt. The fact that
Microsoft has control over your BIOS should be reason enough to keep the
patch. The ACPI bugs are only going to increase as time goes on. I can
compile my own kernel and include the patch, but if everyone stops using
the patch, it will eventually not be updated anymore.