The source (not source code) of /lib/modules/2.6.24-*/ubuntu

Eus reply.to.eus.at.member.fsf.org at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 03:04:18 UTC 2009

Hi Ho!

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 03:14 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 08:55:10AM +0700, Eus wrote:
>
> > Actually I am looking for the provenance information for
> > `char/intel-agp-ich9m'. Could you please help me with this one?
>
> It's a backported version of the upstream code with PCI IDs for
> everything but a single chipset removed. It's not entirely clear why
> it's called ich9m given that the agp hardware is in the northbridge, but
> still. Why do you ask?

Because I got a messed-up GUI when I recompiled my stock GNU/Linux
Ubuntu kernel. It turned out
that /lib/modules/2.6.24-*/ubuntu/char/intel-agp-ich9m is required to
fix this mess. Since it is not in the stock kernel, I was wondering from
where intel-agp-ich9m is obtained and why it is there. Thank you for
your information.

So, I think I can assume that those components
under /lib/modules/2.6.24-*/ubuntu that don't have BOMs are backported
from the upstream code. Correct?

--
Best regards,
Eus (FSF member #4445)

In this digital era, where computing technology is pervasive, your
freedom depends on the software controlling those computing devices.

Join free software movement today! It is free as in freedom, not as in
free beer!

Join: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=4445