Smooth graphics mode transition from GRUB to kernel

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon Aug 10 11:34:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 12:29:14PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> I was wondering about adding some vid_mode constants in the
> 0x0f00-0x0fff range that basically meant "load KMS+fbcon as early as
> possible please since we're already in graphics mode". Is that viable at
> all or is it too hard to make that work early on?

If the KMS drivers are modular then they're not going to end up running
until you've hit userspace, at which point you've probably missed the
initial messages. Even without you'll still need to wait for ACPI setup
and PCI probing before getting anything. So you really need to use some
other framework in order to get access to the framebuffer, and that's
then going to have to be torn down and set up again when you move to the
native driver.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org