Hardy LRM git repository

Steve Conklin steve.conklin at canonical.com
Tue Apr 28 00:54:00 UTC 2009

On 04/24/2009 02:05 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> Tim Gardner wrote:
>> Stefan,
>>
>> I think its worthwhile to create a git repository for Hardy LRM,
>> especially since you've unrolled the Broadcom tarball. It will also make
>> it easier to manage the netbook-lpia branch. The other LRM binaries are
>> not changing enough that it will trigger the inefficiencies with git
>> that we saw during Hardy development.
>>
>> rtg
>
> While probably not changing that much, they are huge (6x~10MB for Nvidia and
> one 52MB pack for ATI). The question is how gracefully git will handle such
> amounts. On the other hand I saw that it seems to do some sort of binary diff even.
> It certainly helps our sanity to have a git repo, so our packages are found and
> can be handled the same. And hopefully my connection up is better now as I
> remember an upload tried while still in Canada suffered from the huge amount of
> data and had to be ass-kicked to the DC(s) first.
> Andy, what would you think from the git side and Steve, you think this would
> help your workflow?
>
> Stefan

Since we're still establishing work flow and we don't yet have lrm under management,
I'll be happy to use whatever works for the rest of the distro, with the same
caveats that have applied to the netbook-lpia in kernel and lum - that we maintain
a branch that is synced as often as is convenient with the main branch, and have the
ability (though discouraged) to create additional (very short-term) branches as needed to
support specific releases when we are unable to put them into our primary netbook-lpia
branch.

Steve