Unset CONFIG_P80211

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Mon Apr 20 14:35:36 UTC 2009

Tim Gardner wrote:
> Karl Relton wrote:
>> In the Jaunty kernel configs, CONFIG_P80211 can now be un-set.
>>
>> This config enables the p80211 module in the Ubuntu sauce, which used to
>> be a prerequisite of the prism2_usb module in the Ubuntu sauce.
>>
>> Both of these are now superseeded by the new prism2_usb module in
>> mainline (that has its own p80211 code compiled in). The Jaunty configs
>> unset the old prism2_usb, but have forgot to unset the old p80211, so it
>> gets compiled and installed unnecessarily.
>>
>> Going forward (Jaunty+1), I guess the Ubuntu sauce for these can be
>> dispensed with altogether.
>>
>> Regards
>> Karl
>>

> Well, that is interesting. Even though CONFIG_STAGING_EXCLUDE_BUILD=y,
> drivers/staging/wlan-ng still gets built. I suspect it is because it
> uses the same config option CONFIG_PRISM2_USB. This is _not_ what I
> intended, but it is what it is now (and will be for the released
> kernel). I guess if its working, then we ought to prefer the staging
> driver over the one in ubuntu/misc/wireless/prism2_usb.
>
> Stefan - I think you should consider completely removing the
> ubuntu/misc/wireless/prism2_usb and ubuntu/misc/wireless/p80211
> directories in order to avoid future confusion. They are already gone in
> Karmic.

The question is how well old and new are working. It seems currently the one in
ubuntu/ is used. Removing everything will change it to use the kernel driver
and if that acts differently we have one more regression.
So if things are working for now, even if not perfectly I would tend to leave
it the way it is.

Stefan