thinkpad keys

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Mon Apr 20 09:14:48 UTC 2009

In the Ubuntu kernel irc backlog I noticed you were talking about thinkpad
keys and potential patches for those.  We are seeing some thinkpad key
regressions specifically regressions in notifications for the hardware
mixer for sound and brightness.  I was therefore wondering as to the
nature of the patches you are doing, and how they may affect these issues.
Also I wondered if you had any ideas how to be drive the resolution of
those issues.

To cut a long story short, we were getting two steps of volume and
brightness as the keys were adjusting the hardware mixers and then a
second caused by the key being handled by hal.  This was fixed under
the bug below:

    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/355300

However, this stops the notifications from appearing as there are no
longer any key presses generated.  This is being tracked under the bug below:

    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hotkey-setup/+bug/357673

I am hoping you might be able to fill in some of the hardware details
and help us fix this properly.

-apw
(Ubuntu Kernel Team)