kerneloops in Ubuntu

Ben Collins ben.collins at canonical.com
Mon Sep 22 23:12:41 BST 2008

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> Ben Collins wrote:
>> Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>>> even just an "ub" or something works ;)
>>> or any kind of regexp that identifies it as ubuntu really, I don't
>>> care how it's done
>>
>> Can you check this via the dmesg? The full version string contains
>> Ubuntu in it.
>>

> I really would like to be able to see it from uname -r
> that way I can compute it from my database; and it just works for
> various cases
> (people running mainline kernels on ubuntu don't get counted as ubuntu,
> and the other way around as well)

Well, there's no way we can retroactively do that. We could going
forward though. But right now only Ubuntu kernels show this:

[    0.000000] Linux version 2.6.27-3-generic (buildd at crested) (gcc
version 4.3.2 (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu6) ) #1 SMP Wed Sep 10 16:18:52 UTC
2008 (Ubuntu 2.6.27-3.4-generic)

Mostly, I'm pointing to the last part: "Ubuntu 2.6.27-3.4-generic" this
is an extended version string we've added that only comes from our
source tree. That would get you the people you have now. If it's too
cumbersome, we can look into adding "ub" or something to the "uname -r"
string in the next release.

We've always had, and always will have the extended version info in the
dmesg though (which I think shows up in oopses?). It is also shown in
/proc/version_signature, though I'm sure you haven't already captured
that data since it's Ubuntu specific.