kerneloops in Ubuntu

Amit Kucheria amit at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 15 18:46:01 BST 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Arjan van de Ven <arjan at linux.intel.com> wrote:

>> What mechanism do other distros use to differentiate the report? I
>> don't see any command-line option or config file option in kerneloops
>> to tag-on the distro name.
>
> in the git version there's methods for this.
> however until now, all distros had some distinct marker in their kernel
> version string
> (fc9, mdk etc) that I use map to a distro

Ben, do we have any problem with adding a 'ubuntu' identifier to our
version string?

>>> The nightmare scenario is that all of the top reports are in external
>>> drivers in the Ubuntu kernel, but nobody will ever fix them; that would
>>> render kerneloops.org useless (and will eventually lead to me filtering
>>
>> We share that concern.
>
> will the Ubuntu ecosystem help fix such driver issues? specifically, if I
> send
> mail with a hot report to kernel-team at lists.ubuntu.com as you suggest, will
> that lead to some action that will lead to a fixed kernel getting out at
> some point?

Yes. If external drivers are causing problems, we will work together
with the out-of-tree maintainers to fix it.

One last clarification before I take this proposal back to our
community - upon fixing the kernel version string, would you, by
default, filter Ubuntu bugs? I want to be sure that turning on
kerneloops doesn't flood your primary reports.

Regards,
Amit