include ext4

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Tue Sep 30 13:06:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 21:59 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:

Thanks Ted!

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 09:27:19PM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > I wonder how comfortable the ext4 upstream would be with a distribution
> > enabling it by default, and not encouraging users to be at least
> > conversant enough to build their own kernel.
>
> As long as people are appropriately warned about not using it on
> production servers just yet, I have no problem.  Fedora 9 shipped it
> although you had to give something like "yes-i-know-ext4-is-a-
> development-filesystem" or some such on the boot line.  I believe
> Fedora 10 is going to be shipping ext4 fully enabled, and I am working
> with a particular enterprise distribution to release ext4 in preview
> form in an upcoming service pack.  Which would be another way of
> saying that yes, we would be quite comfortable.

When do you expect ext4 to be stable enough to be a default?  I
understood F10 to be shipping alongside 8.10, which implies 2.6.27 and
it's still "in development" there?

Intrepid has 2.6.27 (rc6? but aiming for release), but only e2fsprogs
1.41.0.

How much would you recommend a version update of e2fsprogs, even if we
don't do anything with ext4 -- I suspect the latter is unlikely, but
something we could look into for 9.04

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant