[RFC] trivial patch to suppress "kernel alive" during boot

Jeff Schroeder jeffschroed at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 16:33:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner at canonical.com> wrote:
> Jeff Schroeder wrote:
>> Can this trivial patch be pulled in for post beta?
>> http://lkml.org/lkml/diff/2008/9/28/73/1
>>
>> It prevents the "Kernel alive" message from being
>> printed after grub unless the debug kernel option is
>> passed. It is pointless to new users and asking a
>> user to reboot with the debug option seems reasonable
>> enough for troubleshooting.
>>

> If it lands in Linus' tree, then we'll eventually get it for free.
> Otherwise, It's a bit late in the cycle.

Why? This is super trivial and is obvious what it does.

> However, I'm curious why it bothers you. If quiet is enabled and splash
> is disabled, its the only indication you get that the amd64 kernel is
> booting until user space starts up.

You removed the uncompressing linux line after grub when quiet is passed.
Why not make quiet truly quiet and do as it says? If the user keeps the quiet
boot option and disables usplash, that should be up to them to know what
they are doing. For the rest of the users, it makes the experience less archaic
and certainly smoother. Grub --> usplash isn't very long on any machine I've
put ubuntu on.

The patch is in Ingo's x86 tree right now, but Linus would probably
reject it this
late in the merge window.

Rebooting the box, editing the grub command line to add a debug, and booting
the kernel seems easy enough (even for a newbie user to follow directions) that
this seems like a no-brainer to apply.

I guess this is a way to improve the default ubuntu experience for a
new to linux
user and why I am arguing for it. Do you disagree with this? Can you see any
problems with actually including it? Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Thanks

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com