include ext4

Jason Newton nevion at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 20:21:28 UTC 2008

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 04:41 -0700, Jason Newton wrote:
>

>> I'd also like to put my vote in on it being turned on
>>

> I'd argue that since it's a development filesystem, people using it need
> to be ready to supply patches to the author for the problems they
> encounter.
>
> Thus forcing them to build their own kernel with it is entirely
> appropriate.
>
> Scott

While it may be true someone may need to submit patches, I think this is
fairly unlikely, take a look at the ext4 bugzilla to see how many bugs
have existed (of course these are only reported bugs and its true that a
limited number of people currently test/use ext4):
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist.cgi?product=File+System&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&component=ext4
Expanding the search criteria only shows a few more, almost all are
fixed.  Its actually very similar to ext3's page.

As for the dev. mailing list - there is a flurry of patches, but almost
all of the patches are for noncritical/featurish things, as such there
just doesn't seem to be any show stoppers left and right like some might
think.  Most importantly, the disk format is NOT changing anymore and
just having ro support is a significant plus, if there is limited write
support all the better, though it seems quite stable.  Finally, remember
that this is a journaled filesystem, and like ext3, it supports
different modes of journaling modes
(data=journal,data=ordered,data=writeback)  meaning that even if there
are hiccups (I've not experienced any yet, YMMV), its  pretty likely
your data is still safe.