Request to include Intel processor microcode in Intrepid and Hardy

Zhao, Yingying yingying.zhao at intel.com
Wed Sep 17 03:17:58 UTC 2008

The Intel microcode data file contains the latest microcode definitions
for all Intel processors. I just checked but didn't find the microcode
date file(microcode.dat) and the utility tools (microcode_ctl) in both
Hardy and Intrepid. I'm afraid this feature request wasn't passed to
Canonical before.

Is it possible that Intrepid includes the latest microcode.dat and
microcode_ctl in the next Alpha 6 release?
Can we release this microcode.dat/microcode_ctl updates as SRU for
Hardy?

The latest microcode is microcode-20080910, which is available in
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=&ProductID=2558&Dwn
ldID=14303&strOss=&OSFullName=&lang=eng
<http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=&ProductID=2558&Dw
nldID=14303&strOss=&OSFullName=&lang=eng> . And the latest utility tools
for microcode (microcode_ctl) is 1.17 which is from
http://www.urbanmyth.org/microcode/microcode_ctl-1.17.tar.gz.

Regards,
Yingying