kerneloops in Ubuntu

Arjan van de Ven arjan at linux.intel.com
Tue Sep 16 05:00:42 UTC 2008

Amit Kucheria wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Arjan van de Ven <arjan at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
>>> What mechanism do other distros use to differentiate the report? I
>>> don't see any command-line option or config file option in kerneloops
>>> to tag-on the distro name.
>> in the git version there's methods for this.
>> however until now, all distros had some distinct marker in their kernel
>> version string
>> (fc9, mdk etc) that I use map to a distro
>
> Ben, do we have any problem with adding a 'ubuntu' identifier to our
> version string?

even just an "ub" or something works ;)
or any kind of regexp that identifies it as ubuntu really, I don't care how it's done

> One last clarification before I take this proposal back to our
> community - upon fixing the kernel version string, would you, by
> default, filter Ubuntu bugs? I want to be sure that turning on
> kerneloops doesn't flood your primary reports.

I will treat them as full normal reports, but realize that I tend to filter
out reports for older kernels (I'm about to start dropping 2.6.25 reports from
the statistics, although I keep collecting them in the DB), simply because bugs that
old aren't really relevant for upstream (and if they are, they do happen with newer
kernels as well and show up there)