RFC: DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support

David Paleino d.paleino at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 19:58:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:55:16 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le jeudi 11 septembre 2008 à 21:44 +0200, David Paleino a écrit :
> > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:24:53 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > > You cannot install packages in a triggered script, or in whatever way
> > > that will be determined from within a package itself.
> >
> > Is there any particular reason for this?
>
> Yes, launching dpkg requires locking the database, and the database is
> already locked within a dpkg run.

Uhm, right. Didn't think to that, sorry.

> > I've seen aptitude doing something similar (i.e. running multiple times
> > with a single launch)... am I wrong?
>
> Aptitude may launch dpkg several times, but the order of the runs is
> determined before.

ACK.

> > Let me clarify the idea: isn't it possible to make a "dkms trigger", that
> > runs on installation of linux-image-*? It should do the following:
> >
> > a) checks if autoinstall is set in dkms configuration;
> > b) if set to yes:
> >    1) start the install of the corresponding linux-headers-* package (a way
> > to programmatically determine the package name of this?);
> >    2) start the compilation of "in-tree" modules; (i.e. modules handled by
> > dkms) c) if set to no:
> >    1) print a message suggesting the installation of the above package;
> >    2) print a message suggesting what to do next
> >
> > From your reply, I understand that b1) wouldn't be possible to achieve. Why?
> > Can't triggers start external programs?
>
> Triggers are run from within dpkg, and cannot launch new APT/dpkg
> processes. And in all cases, it is fundamentally wrong to assume that
> APT can be invoked.

Ok, understood.

Ok, let's change approach.
I'm CCing the Ubuntu kernel team list: could you please explain how the kernel
postinst hook works? (i.e. /etc/kernel/postinst.d/ and the like)

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino