RFC: Stable kernel updates and the SRU process

Tim Gardner tcanonical at tpi.com
Mon Oct 27 13:26:33 UTC 2008

I would like to propose the following change in policy with regard to
the Ubuntu kernel and stable tree updates.

In the past our kernels have incorporated stable kernel tree updates up
to the point of kernel freeze. After that point, only those patches that
were specifically referenced by SRU Launchpad reports were applied.

The upstream process for stable tree updates is quite similar in scope
to the SRU process, e.g., each patch has to demonstrably fix a bug, and
each patch is vetted by upstream by originating either directly from
Linus' tree or in a minimally backported form of that patch.

I think we are remiss if we do not take advantage of that upstream
process to improve our kernel. Therefore I propose that we modify our
kernel update policy such that we adopt stable kernel updates at
appropriate points in the release process (avoiding kernel freezes etc)
for as long as upstream continues to provide updates, and that these
stable kernel updates not be subject to the SRU process.

Comments?

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com