Some Intrepid wireless testing results

Amit Kucheria amit at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 23 07:40:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Tim Gardner <tcanonical at tpi.com> wrote:

<snip>

> As much as it pains me to say this, I think the stock 2.6.27 kernel does
> not have a functional ath5k driver and should be disabled in the kernel
> build. Ultimately, this means support for Atheros wireless is the same
> in Intrepid as it was in Hardy.

Wouldn't there be regressions since Alexander mentioned that the
madwifi driver for wpasupplicant no longer exists.

> However, all is not lost. I've been backporting the wireless testing
> repository to the Intrepid linux-backports-modules package. Some folks
> have reported good success with that version of ath5k, though I have yet
> to test it myself, nor have I done extensive testing on other wireless
> adapters. I expect that Atheros support will continue to improve, and I
> will update LBM when it makes sense.

Since LBM might contain several backported drivers (e.g. alsa,
wireless updates, etc.) and now the whole distro will depend on it for
ath5k support, how to we ensure that it doesn't cause regressions in
future updates? As it stands today, LBM isn't that well tested for
regressions.

The problem for projects like Ubuntu Mobile is that some of those
devices only have wireless for network connectivity. A regression will
kill their only means of updates or even reverting back to an old
package.

Regards,
Amit