apt-get source linux-restricted modules

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Fri Nov 28 10:30:30 GMT 2008

This was briefly discussed/encountered this morning and after some thoughts on
it I am not completely sure this is really a bug or just the odd way things are
supposed to happen.
The thing probably most starters (me too) stumble over is, if they try to build
or modify the lrm package (the same would happen with lum+lbm but since we
start from git trees there it does not show up as with lrm) the first thing to
try is: apt-get source linux-restircted-modules. However this will result in
the linux-meta source to be fetched. The same happens with
linux-restricted-modules-generic. This is confusing but probably the very right
thing, given that both are names of meta-packages and the source package for
those _is_ linux-meta. The real package is linux-restricted-modules-$(uname -r)
for the current running kernel and this correctly fetches the right source.

The question now is: can or should this be changed or is there no way around it
but has just to be clearly documented on the wiki. Is the source package of a
meta-package the source it was build from or the source it resolves to?

Stefan

--

When all other means of communication fail, try words!