Small fixes for Hauppauge WinTV products in hardy-lum

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Wed Nov 19 13:26:11 UTC 2008

Stefan Bader wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> long time no see. :) (on #ubuntu-kernel)

> That is actually what Tim meant with LP (LaunchPad bugs which will be
> used to track the changes)

Ah, good -- So then I already have this done :-)

>>> Do you have an LP started? These patches are gonna have to go through
>>> the SRU process, though they all look suitable. I'm too lazy to look -
>>> where does the new firmware file sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw come
>>> from?
>>
>> ...an "LP" ?  I'm not sure of the terminology.
>>

>> The sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw replaces the previous firmware image
>> (sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-01.fw).  I already provided this image to
>> Michael Frey under the same license as the older firmware file.  I
>> understand that there might be a process for that to be distributed,
>> but users can download it from steventoth.net in the meanwhile:
>>
>> http://steventoth.net/linux/sms1xxx/sms1xxx-hcw-55xxx-dvbt-02.fw
>>
>> ...if you have reservations about the firmware change, then please feel
>
> This is not so much about the change but the fact that we were looking
> for information about several firmware files lately and had a hard
> time to find out which license those actually use. Especially the v4l
> firmwares were a bit, hm, lets say undetermined in that way. So the
> question would be, do you have a license file that states the origin
> and whether the files are redistributable.

Yes, I can provide such license.  At this time, I am only requesting to
change the kernel modules, and I was not yet submitting the firmware
image for distribution in mainstream Ubuntu.  Since Ubuntu is not
distributing the old firmware image either, I did not see this to be an
issue.

Michael Frey already has both the old firmware and the new firmware, and
a license agreement as provided by Hauppauge during summer '08.  I can
provide these files to you as well, but it shouldn't hold up the LUM
changesets.

Can we take care of firmware distribution in a separate step?