uvcvideo (webcam) support for COMPAL JHL90 based laptops

Amit Kucheria amit at canonical.com
Thu Nov 13 18:49:57 UTC 2008

Joerg,

I recall that you were going to push this patch upstream. Could you
please test the latest uvcvideo driver with the Compal HW and let us
know if this patch is still required? If so, I'll push it upstream for
you.

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart at skynet.be> wrote:
> Hi Amit,
>
> I've noticed by sheer luck that the Ubuntu 8.10 linux-image-2.6.27-7 packages
> include a patch to the uvcvideo driver to support webcam modules integrated
> into Compal JHL90 laptops.
>
> Is there a reason why the patch hasn't been pushed upstream ? Being the
> uvcvideo author and maintainer, I'd appreciate if you could forward patches
> related to the driver in the future.

Laurent: The patch would have gone out in a week or so when our git
tree is cleaned and rebased for the next release. We try to ensure
that the patch authors are making some efforts to upstream it, but
there is no way to ensure it until we go through our accumulated patch
list at the end of a release cycle.

> On a pure technical note, the patch might not be required with the current
> uvcvideo driver version. There is no way to confirm this without testing the
> driver with that particular webcam model, so I'd appreciate if you could
> contact the patch author and check with him if his camera works with the
> latest uvcvideo driver (available from http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/).

Regards,
Amit