can't build binary-generic from git

Tim Gardner tcanonical at tpi.com
Sun May 11 15:21:37 UTC 2008

Matt Price wrote:
> hi,
>
> i;m following the kernel compile guide, and am stuck here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile#head-8c49b0182e468c06a768e6abb2f2ff343a9158a9
>  i have a local git tree, a copy of nigel cunningham's hardy+tuxonice
>  tree (this is on an uptodate hardy system), and it's all ready to
> go, but debian/rules fails with this error:
>
> $ AUTOBUILD=1 NOEXTRAS=1 fakeroot debian/rules binary-generic make:
> *** No rule to make target `binary-generic'.  Stop.
>
> I get the same error using the binary-debs target: $ AUTOBUILD=1
> NOEXTRAS=1 fakeroot debian/rules binary-debs make: *** No rule to
> make target `binary-debs'.  Stop.
>
> The debian/rules makefile is too heavily abstracted for me to
> interpret, so i'm not really sure what the problem is... --- in the
> middle of this process just now found the KernelMaintenance page in
> the wiki, and the 'binary-arch' target.  now i've got this target
> building, but i'd *really* like to avoid building all these flavours
> on my laptop when i only need one kernel!  any hints on that?
>
> ...and while you're reading this -- is there a guide, *anywhere*, to
> building a custom linux-restricted-modules?  i know you guys don't
> like people building custom kernels, but it's something one has to do
> to test out patches that aren't yet accepted in ubuntu; wouldn't it
> really be best for everyone if the kernel infrastructure could be
> held constant while a patch is tested? that is, make it
> straightforward to build custom l-u-m and l-r-m packages that work
> with the custom kernel, so the origin of any breakages is readily
> transparent?
>
> er, end rant...  if anyone could point me in the right direction i'd
> be very hgrateful.  thanks, matt

The easiest way to build the kernel is using debuild to ensure that you
have met all of the dependencies, e.g.,

sudo apt-get install linux-kernel-devel fakeroot devscripts
git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-hardy.git ubuntu-hardy
cd ubuntu-hardy
debuild -b

If you want to build one of the standard flavours, then you can take a
shortcut:

fakeroot debian/rules binary-debs flavours=generic

Note that these build instructions _only_ work with the Ubuntu git tree
or source download. This not a standard way to build the Linux kernel.

Detailed build instructions can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMaintenance.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at ubuntu.com