pciback module

Todd Deshane deshantm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 03:13:47 UTC 2008

Hi Stephan,

I am not on the kernel team, but I can give you pointers for using Xen.

Even if pciback is compiled as a module and not directly into the kernel,
you should still be able to use it.

The basic idea is to build it into the initiral RAM disk (initrd). You can
add the module to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and then run:
update-initramfs -u

You should then be able to use the pciback functionality. Here reference on
the xen-users mailing list :

http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=CentOS and pciback#query:CentOS and
pciback+page:1+mid:44atjkwi3qi7fzqb+state:results

It gives the mkinitrd equivalent, which is a similar tool to the mkinitramfs
tool that Ubuntu uses.

I am guessing that the kernel team did have reason and setup the policy of
what to build as module etc. If adding it to the initrd doesn't work I would
recommend that you file a bug to the Xen-3.2 package, as those bugs are
generally fixed in a timely fashion.

Also, another appropriate place to ask questions if you run into further
problems is the xen-users mailing list (
http://lists.xensource.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xen-users )

Regards,
Todd