Understanding the "Upstream syncing" work flow

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Fri Jun 20 20:28:10 BST 2008

Dan Munckton wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 16:25 +0100, Dan Munckton wrote:
>>>>
>>> No, we don't do this on the server. We do it in a local tree, and then
>>> git-push -f (after making sure there are no unsycned commits in the
>>> server side). Basically just good communication keeps us from
>>> overwriting each other.
>>>

>> Ben, Tim thanks for the info. I will rehearse this for the linux-ports
>> source so that when I get access to zinc I can update it to 2.6.25.7.
>
> Ok so I have the following steps:
>
> $ git remote add linux-2.6.25.y \
>  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.25.y.git
>
> $ git fetch linux-2.6.25.y
>
> See what's new upstream
> $ git log HEAD..linux-2.6.25.y/master
>
> See which commits will be rebased
> $ git log linux-2.6.25.y/master..HEAD
>
> Now rebase
> $ git rebase linux-2.6.25.y/master
>
> See what's the damage
> $ gitk --all
>

> Now, at this point I see all the old Ubuntu-* tags
> (e.g. Ubuntu-2.6.25-1.1) are now gone. Do you recreate them or is there
> a smart way to keep them?
>

> If all is cool push back (warning other consumers first of course)
> $ git push -f origin
>
> As usual any feedback greatly appreciated.
>
> Dan

After you've rebased the Ubuntu tags no longer make sense 'cause the
commits that they referenced are likely gone. We try to follow the
protocol of adding the tag name in the commit message atr the time the
tag was created, e.g., Ubuntu-2.6.25-7.1. That way if you ever want to
re-create the tag you can do it from the new commit SHA1.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at ubuntu.com