[RFC] merging virtualbox-ose-modules into linux-ubuntu-modules

Jeff Schroeder jeffschroed at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 15:46:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Ben Collins <ben.collins at canonical.com> wrote:
...snip...
> Of course we care, but virtual machine vendors (both proprietary and
> open source) have a self inflicted kernel+vmmon+virtual-machine ABI to
> stick to, and mixing it with kernel ABI matching just doubles the
> problems. DKMS (or something similar) is the preferred and desired way
> to resolve this if the vm isn't going to handle it itself.

Is there going to be any work to use dkms once the 1.6 version of virtualbox
and the associated modules are uploaded to the Intrepid repositories? This
is a problem that isn't new and yet it happens over and over again. The point
of this email was to address the problem and suggest possible courses of
action.

It just surprised me that after happening several times during Hardy
development[1],
the same problem popped up again in hardy stable. Even if the package
is in universe
this seems crazy in an LTS release.

In short, the process is wrong and I'm trying to fix it.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/virtualbox-ose/+bug/179807

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com