Who maintains initramfs-tools?

Ben Collins ben.collins at canonical.com
Thu Jul 24 15:30:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 09:56 -0500, Paul Albrecht wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 10:13 -0400, Ben Collins wrote:

> > > I hacked initramfs-tools so I could run ubuntu on a 2 gigabyte partition
> > > and I was wondering whether it was worthwhile pushing the changes
> > > upstream.
> > >
> > > What I do specifically is first install ubuntu on a 8 gigabyte flash
> > > disk. Then I further configure the system the way I want and squash the
> > > root file system. Finally, I write the squashed root file system to a 2
> > > gigabyte flash disk.
> > >
> > > With my hack to initramfs-tools, which simply union mounts the squashed
> > > root with a cow layer, I get a usable desktop on a 2 gigabyte partition.
> >
> > This sounds a lot like our livecd, and even more like the work we've
> > done for the classmate PC. I'd compare what you've done with that and
> > see if there is anything common.
> >

> Rereading your response I'm not sure I understood you. Are you saying
> you think I should look at what you did for the classmate PC? How would
> I do that?
>
> The reason I posted here was because I'd like to get the code that
> handles loop file systems tweaked a bit so I don't have to pin the
> initramfs-package.

I didn't do the classmate PC stuff. If you talk to ogra on Freenode IRC,
he can tell you where his code is. All I'm saying is that there's at
least three different implementations, and we need to settle on one :)

Last thing I want to do is have three different ways for this to be done
in initramfs-tools.