New kernel driver for the BCM5974 touchpad (Macbook Air, Penryn)

Henrik Rydberg rydberg at euromail.se
Thu Jul 10 13:16:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 15:09 -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Henrik Rydberg wrote:
[..]
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=840040.
> >
> > My obvious question is of course how to best incorporate this driver
> > into the Hardy kernel. The driver has been submitted to kernel.org, but
> > it might take some time before it gets accepted, and even longer before
> > making its way into Ibex. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[..]
> This driver may eventually be a candidate for Hardy
> linux-backports-modules since it replaces an existing driver, and LBM is
> an elective install. Are you going to be able to get it submitted during
> the 2.6.27 merge window? Another option is to package your driver using DKMS
[..]

The bcm5974 project is now at version 0.55. There is a DKMS package out
there, and some 20 people are using (and testing) it, both on i686 and
x86_64.

The question is how to proceed from here. Ricky Campbell has kindly
offered place in the mactel PPA, but in the eyes of a novice, DKMS
doesn't immediately lend itself to automatic build in launchpad. Thus,
it sounds like a better idea to include the driver in the
linux-backports-modules, as originally suggested.

Any thoughts on this?

Kindest regards,
Henrik Rydberg