RealTek 8185

Tim Gardner tcanonical at tpi.com
Wed Jul 9 12:54:38 UTC 2008

Des,

The best chance of getting your rtl8185 to work is by using the (soon to
be released) Hardy linux-backports-modules package which contains the
current upstream bleeding edge wireless stack and device driver suite.
As Will Daniels points out, my PPA is indeed a dangerous source unless
you know what you are doing.

As for the -20 kernel not booting, you can catch grub during the boot
process by hitting ESC, then edit the kernel boot command and remove
'quiet splash' which will allow you to see the kernel startup messages.
Perhaps that will tell you where the boot process is failing. I am
interested because my PPA kernel has some patches that affect the core
kernel, so I am watching for regressions.

rtg

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at ubuntu.com