Kernel ABI breakage

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Tue Feb 26 12:10:21 UTC 2008

Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I spoke to Tim on IRC a few days back about problems introduced by some
> recent updates in LUM and he suggested to take it to a wider audiance.
>
> I filed a bug to keep track of the issue: #192559
>
> but is the general approach of upgrading entire subsystems in LUM (or any
> other package for the matter) that needs to be reviewed.
>
> So far i don't recall this problem happening before, but now it's clear
> out of a default install.
>
> Fabio
>
> PS CC me on reply. I am not subbed to this mailing list.
>
> --
> I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

Here is a short page of notes on how the kernel team thinks it can
mitigate some of the ABI breakage. Our primary use case is for DKMS
external module builds. Other third party builds will likely work
correctly if they use the kernel Makefile and the M= option for out of
tree builds.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Sprints/Feb2008/HeadersABI

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at ubuntu.com