Reduce CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY_COUNT to 0

Tim Gardner tcanonical at tpi.com
Mon Dec 29 18:51:26 UTC 2008

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 11:05 -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
>
>> It appears that changing the kernel config thusly requires
>> 'pty.legacy_count=N' as a kernel boot parameter for alternate and server
>> installs.
>>
> Why do servers need that at all?!
>
> Do you have a bug reference, or has somebody misunderstood the options
> we're changing here?
>
> Scott

I've not filed a bug report on it yet since I just noticed the problem.

About the time /sbin/init is launched, the screen clears and
continuously prints "can't get a pty: no such device or file exists" (or
something close to that).

I haven't tried the desktop install. The pty stuff is merely a
distraction while I mess with ext4.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com